February 16, 2011

Jam of the Week x3

To make up for my lack of posts lately, here are, not one, not two, but three songs for you to jam on this week. I'm going to tell you now, the theme connecting all of these songs is the color blue. Just because.

The first jam is from underground MC Blu's debut album, Below the Heavens. Sam mentioned this cut in his ridiculously long list of songs he thought you should listen to, but, if for some reason you missed it, here it is again. Blu has long been one of my favorite MCs, but as HipHopDX's Rookie of the Year in 2007 and one of XXL's top freshman in 2009, he has yet to achieve the success that he deserves. Hailed as an underground classic, Below the Heavens contains both incredible lyricism from my boy Blu as well as astounding production from Exile. Definitely check out Blu's entire catalog and look for his upcoming mixtape, Amnesia, which was supposed to drop on Valentines Day.



Hit the jump for the other two jams.




It's no secret that my favorite band of all time is Dr. Dog. This next song is from their latest effort, Shame, Shame. I realized I had yet to even mention the Dog on this blog, and in keeping with the blue theme, this seemed like the perfect time. Make sure you check out every Dr. Dog song ever.




This final song is a shout out to my boy Julian. I had forgotten about this underrated Harrison classic, having not listened to it since early in high school, but Julian thankfully reminded me of it a few weeks ago. What a guy. Originally released as a B-Side to the single "Bangla Desh," "Deep Blue" was later included on the 2006 repressing of Living in the Material World. If, um, by some chance you have not yet done so, check out George Harrison. Also, check out my boy Julian. He's the most talented drummer that I've had the good fortune of playing with, and on top of that, he has great hair. I've included a picture of him below the video.



Disclaimer: Old School Movie does not condone the smoking of cigarettes, unless of course, it is done in the particularly cool fashion pictured above.

No comments:

Post a Comment