February 28, 2011

The Worst Weekend to Not Be In NYC (featuring Kanye West, Mos Def, Lupe Fiasco, and Robert Glasper)

Now, being in Italy is awesome, don't get me wrong, but I am physically pained at the thought of having missed what took place at legendary New York City jazz club, The Blue Note, this past weekend. Lupe Fiasco was performing a four show run alongside this week's Jam of the Week artist, Robert Glasper and his electric group, The Robert Glasper Experiment. On the final night, Fiasco brought out both Mos Def and Kanye West where the trio freestyled, as well as spit both new and old verses. Now, those three alone would have been an incredible show, but the fact that they were being backed by some of the best musicians alive, namely Robert Glasper and drummer Chris Dave, is too much for me to handle. I would've been there too! I would've been there.

Kanye's freestyle was undoubtedly one of his best ad-lib's ever, producing such quotables as "All this Illuminati talk, like my first hit single wasn't, 'Jesus Walks'" and, "Now I'm scared of the Grammys? Does everybody know that 'Dark Fantasy' was the highest rated album in history? Are you kidding me?" Lupe's actual set, I'm sure, was amazing, and fortunately the group performed the jazzy "Paris, Tokyo," which I've always thought would be made only more perfect with the addition of Glasper and Dave. As it turns out, I was right. Anyway, it seems like it was an awesome show, check out videos of Kanye's freestyle and Lupe's Glasper-enhanced "Paris, Tokyo" below.






UPDATE: Hit the jump for a couple of actual videos of Lupe and the Experiment.






No comments:

Post a Comment