March 1, 2011

Twizzlers or Red Vines?


My mother recently posed this very question to me in a Facebook message. In addition to this, she made it her Facebook status, so I imagine she’s genuinely curious about people’s opinions on the matter. For the love of my mother, and knowing that she is the only person who checks this blog as frequently as myself, I figured I would ask you, faithful reader, for your candy preference.

Now, when I was first introduced to both of these products as a child I was told that they were “red licorice.” I’ve since come to realize that the term, “red licorice,” means absolutely nothing. Think about it: Neither products are derived, in any part, from the liquorice plant. Nor do they taste like it. Both Twizzlers and Red Vines are in fact just shitty, red, plastic-like straws, flavored in "Strawberry Twist," and the suspicious “Original Red Twist,” respectively.

Shitty, red, artificial plastic straws, however, that I happen to enjoy very much.

In picking one nearly tasteless candy as superior over the other, I find difficulties. The thing is, though the products are very similar, and in theory are exactly the same, they do have slightly different tastes, and just as slightly different of textures.

Personally, I prefer the two products at different times. Red Vines are for movies. When I’m not eating frozen Junior Mints, that is. Twizzlers are much more an at-home candy. Or something that you buy at Best Buy (it occurs to me that I may be the only one who holds this association).

Which, in a comparison of two products that have little nutritional value, and even less flavor, do you prefer? Let me (and my mother) know in the comments section below.

4 comments:

  1. way to go! I wasn't getting enough action on my simple inquiry!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely Red Vines....I find Twizzlers to have a waxy consistency which I presume contributes to the over-preservative taste that is generated when biting into a Twizzler. The softer Red Vine contains a superior tubular structure allowing consumers to drop the contents of a Pixie Stick down the tube and consume in delicious sugary bites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red vines... What the hell can't they do?

    ReplyDelete